Friday, June 13, 2008

That was Sevilla and this is Granada

Wow, it's been a while since I've written. Sevilla was great. I loved the Alcazar (palace), cathedral, and basillica of the Macarena (yes, like the dance). I spent a lot of time with Elie and her study abroad group, so that was great. Being with UNC people makes it feel like home. I also got to spend an evening with her host family, practicing my Spanish and seeing what normal life is like. I walked sooo much, but it was great. My hostel had a tiny pool on the roof, so that was a great way to cool off at the end of the day.

Now, I'm in Granada. Yesterday I explored a bit and climbed to a great lookout spot over the city. I also saw the tombs of Queen Isabella and King Ferdanand. I'm beginning to realize how important they really were in Spanish history. They not only allowed for Christopher Colombus to sail to America, but they also finished the Reconquista of Spain, and started the Spanish Inquisition. They are known as the Catholic king and the Catholic queen. Today I am going to visit the huge fortress/castle/palace. I'm also goingt to find the local market.

Tomorrow I'm off to Barcelona!

No comments: